Are you reading The Talking Drum in your book club? Here are some suggested questions to get the discussion started.
- What do you think the author’s purpose was? What ideas was she trying to get across?
- What feelings did this book evoke for you?
- Which characters in the book did you like best?
- Which characters did you like least?
- Were there any moments where you disagreed with the choices of any of the characters? What would you have done differently?
- Did any of the characters remind you of yourself or someone you know? How?
- Did any of the characters surprise you? When? How?
- If you could meet one of the characters right now, what would you say to them?
- What scene resonated most with you personally in either a positive or negative way? Why?
- Has anything ever happened to you similar to what happened in the book? How did you react to it?
- Share a favorite quote from the book. Why did this quote stand out?
- What do you think of the book’s title? How does it relate to the book’s contents?
- What did you already know about gentrification before you read this book?
- What surprised you the most about the book?
- What were the racial, cultural, gender, or socioeconomic factors at play in the book? How did they affect the characters?
- What did you learn from, take away from, or get out of this book?
- If you were making a movie of this book, who would you cast?
- If you got the chance to ask the author of this book one question, what would it be?